Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentines Day

Always have to preface my Valentines greetings with 'Even though I don't celebrate Valentines day' but yes I'm just here to wish everyone who celebrates it a happy valentines. Enjoy yourselves. To tell the truth I've come far in recent years in that I actually acknowledge the day these days.

don't know what its like in the other Caribbean countries but when I was growing up in Barbados some folk just took it overboard with everyone wearing red on Valentines day. Lets just say it was interesting.

Regarding Valentines day though one of my issues with it, and I have many much to de wife's chagrin, is the way it makes some single persons feel. This day can really drive some single folks into depression and I just don't like that. I can somewhat understand a day to celebrate relationships or love but the day seems geared to making you feel like less than a success if for some reason you are single at that time. To me that's just wrong.

So to any feeling depressed by this day please don't get caught up in the hype.

Anyway Valentines day is significant to me because its ironically like my year and a half blogversary. One and a half years writing this crazy stuff, who knew. Will keep it short, just want to thank all those who put up with my ramblings. Respect!

11 comments:

nahmix said...

thanks for thinking of the single folks. happy v day to you and wifey!

Ananse's Web said...

happy v day to you even though you dont celebrate it

De Immigrant said...

Yu right, its just commercial crap designed to pull more $$ from our pockets!! I try to ignore it.

Miz JJ said...

Happy V Day!!

Waddie G. said...

I was surprised that alot of people at work did not wear red or pink yesterday on V Day

chrome said...

yes jdid hope you had a good one.

yeah I understand the pressure (was single once) and it can make the whole val day gloomy.

good looking out and happy 1.5 anniversary.

Brotha Buck said...

I'd be interested in the Misses guest blogging for you on Valentines day so we can here the other story

Deelze said...

I have to agree with you and say V-Day is a money making day and nothing more!! Bah humbug!

Happy V-Day to you to bro. I can't believe I just said it again...or rather typed it again!! Dang it! *smile*

Thanks for remembering the single people though!

~Smooches~

Abeni said...

Yeah, unfortunately it does make single people feel left out. I know some childless women who stay away from church on Mother's Day simply because all the emphasis on motherhood overwhelms them

brooklyn babe said...

Happy Belated V-Day

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Me an' my sis, we choose every opportunity to celebrate. For example, on father's day I tell her, "Happy father's day." She says, "Thank you, same to you."