Saturday, August 14, 2004

The Olympics start

Missed the opening ceremony unfortunately but its not like I really care. I think my Olympic spirit died after the 96 Olympics. Back then I was in school, the Olympics were in North America and I was able to watch almost every event live without the silly time delay. Time delay is rather annoying when you can go online and find out the results and see that your team/ sportman lost or didn't make the finals etc.

Anyway, this morning I woke up and turned on the TV to see what Olympic sports are on. Women's softball with the US beating up on Italy and beach volleyball Canada vs the Swiss. Now beach volleyball ya got to love that sport. Women in revealing outfits surely incapulates everything that the Olympics are supposed to be about. uh huh!

Now what had me with the beach volleyball, since the women weren't really saying much, was the lingo. The one word that stood out to me was 'pokey'. Now anybody that from the eastern Caribbean can tell you what that word means there. I wont spell it out for you if ya don't know but lets say its not a word you would hear in polite company.

Not sure what it means in volleyball but I couldn't help laughing when the commentators used terms like 'Canada using the pokey to good effect in this game' and 'here come the Swiss with a lil pokey'. Almost thought that Playboy was sponsoring the olympics this year. 'And she uses a lil pokey to gain that point'. Wow talk about your bribing scandal?

It got me thinking though how one word can mean so many different things depending on the culture, professions, ethnicities, groups in which it is spoken.

Still I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of my mom hearing this on TV. She would probably turn it off one time an say 'but looka what TV come ta doah. one time ya couldn't talk summuch wuflessness on the air. '

2 comments:

Abeni said...

Lol..I tell you language is something else eh

(kami)

Jdid said...

my first comment. somebody is actually reading this. i'm not talkin to myself after all. thanks kami :-)