Sunday, January 06, 2008

Detergent Math

Any of you guys know about Detergent Math?

I'm serious so don't look at me like I loss my head. This is serious analytical mathematical business we dealing with. So either you familiar with the concept or you're not but don't start laughing at me til you hear me out.

Let me explain. Allya familiar with laundry detergent? Either the powdery kind or the liquid kind that does come in a container with a cup or the cap having markings to explain how to derive a cup or two cups full of the said detergent? Allya familiar with that? Allya really really familiar with that? Ya ever take a look at the markings on the cup or the cap that shows you what the detergent measurements are?

Well that is the foundation of detergent mathematics right there. Cause ya see if you take a close look at those cup markings you will realize that they don't make any sort of rational sense at all. Compare them and you will notice some serious discrepancies if you try to use regular mathematical logic. Is like the detergent makers just arbitrarily put some lines on the cup.

Follow me now: If the mark showing one cup full is 10 cm from the bottom of the cup how the mark for 2 cups going to be only 3 cms above that first mark unless the cup is a conical shape? Otherwise the first cup full is about three times bigger than the second cup full. That don't make no sense! In no sorta world duz 13 times x equal 2 times 10 times x! ....... except de world of detergent math

And all the detergent cups I've checked have similar types of concepts. In detergent math 2 cups of detergent is 1.25 x 1 cup of detergent or 1.3 x 1 cup of detergent. Check the cups in the detergent box good and tell me if I lie?

Is like dem fellas must have some sort of advanced carry the one, integrate x to the derivative of the cosign arc tangent viscosity variable raised to the power of one over pi x times the free flow cubed, ice cubed, rubix cubed formula to work out them markings man.

Is Detergent math. Take a look at the detergent fa true. Wha allya know bout dat?

16 comments:

Dee said...

this explains why I never bother to look at the cup when I measure the detergent
it's so difficult and the clothes usually get clean any way.

Anonymous said...

The assumption you use is that it takes twice as much of the substance to deliver twice as much effect. The reasoning used by the detergent manufacturer is that only 1.5 x is needed to bring the desired effect.

From a marketing standpoint, go ahead and use as much as you think...you'll use more and then have to buy more of the product.

Jdid said...

thats not the point khemist. my assumption has nothing to do with the actual amount it takes to wash a load.

the point is their measurement unit is cups. they label the measuring container with units of 1 cup, 2 cups, sometimes 3 cups, not one cup 1.5 cup etc.

it may be true that we only need 1.5 cups but they label it as two, two has always been twice one as far as I know so when two becomes 1.5 times one, we have a problem. hence the detergent math.

Radmila said...

Perhaps we just need to follow my husband's detergent math.
Just pour it in.

Abeni said...

You too idle:) Just use West Indian maths and throw some in:)

slybabyk said...

LOL Is not you one Jdid, I've puzzled over that myself. With the baby I started looking at stuff like that closely and I never understood that because if I filled it to the 1 line twice it would obviously be more than if I'd filled it to the 2 line once.

Now I just eyeball it. Especially since I bought the new concentrated liquid detergent, how much I put in really just depends on how dirty the clothes are! :-)

Unknown said...

I never paid much attention to that, but now that you say that, I have seen it, and it's strange.

Campfyah said...

Boye yuh have plenty time on yuh hands nuh...wha happen de mistress put yuh tuh do laundry? Just tek a random guess and pour in de detergent..dah is de maths I use when doing laundry

Anonymous said...

I just pour until it feels right. If I'm afflicted with the need to measure in the future, I'll know it stems from reading your post.

Anonymous said...

I think they're just numbering the lines. Well, the smart ones anyway, they'll tell you fill to Line #1, or Line #2 - that way there's no detergent maths really, just instructions to follow. I don't really listen to them anyway, because if they couldn't be bothered to give you actual volumes, they don't really care about it, do they?
When I read this title, I thought you'd done an assessment of the number of loads claim on the container and come up short!

aquababie said...

i'm like radmila's husband. i just pour it into the slot. i have a front loader. so i have to decide if i going to use regular liquid or the bottle with the "he" on the front.

too many questions! LOL

Unknown said...

LOL! Man I never tried to figure that out I just pour detergent to the line and then in the water.

Scratchie said...

I'm with Stunner, Kim and Kami on this one...just pour till it look like enough.....

Crankyputz said...

This post is the reason Im glad you retire like Jay Z.

Me thinks u have too much time on your hands..

I just pour how much I feel like!

AirBourne said...

This is one of the best items you ever did let go - I en't know why ya mek an eediat statement dat U retire? Retire what? And lose sweet commentary like dis? Nah!

Anonymous said...

Wait - you mean to tell me that you did stan' up deh and examine the detergent cup with such care an ting? You read di labels on yuh clothes too, and wash them with "like colors" and in de right water temperature too? What a piece o idleness dis! Great post!