Saturday, July 14, 2018

Overpass

I was driving over the Progress bridge/overpass when I saw it.

Car pulled over halfway to the side, half in the curb lane with the hazard lights on. That's sort of weird I thought. And then a tall slim black man , elegantly dressed in a suit stumbled out with a cell-phone to his ears and went to the pavement.

Weird, I thought as I got closer.

And then he stumbled to the edge of the overpass ledge just as I was passing and it dawned on me.It couldn't be right?
Oh my goodness, is he about to commit suicide!

I didn't know what to do, I kept looking into my rearview as I crested the bridge and headed down, towards my destination. Could I do anything?

Something clicked in me, I went into the next left turn lane and turned into the Centennial campus entrance, made a u-turn and headed back for the bridge. I didn't know what to expect. Would I be too late? Even if I wasn't too late what the hell could I do if he was going to jump into the 401 traffic. Pretty sure stopping a suicide isnt like what you see on tv and ya dun know as a bajan I aint really got that sort of tact to try to stop nuhbody jumping.

Should have thought this through I was thinking. But why else would someone stop their car near the crest of an overpass in the lane and stumble out of the vehicle unless they were plotting to do self harm? I mean if he was injured wouldn't he have driven a bit further to where the campus and the church is and more people are around that could help? 

All these thoughts popped into my head as I crested the bridge this time going north and I saw him still there walking around. He hadnt jumped or anything of the sort infact .................................................................................................................................................................. wunna believe this man tekkin selfies!!

Wha de so n so? You mean this man blocking traffic to tek selfies on the kiss me tail bridge? Man ya lie! Schupse!!

Anyways I made another turn and headed back in my original direction as I watched the driver stumble back to his vehicle selfie finished. I was a bit relieved that it wasnt what I initially thought but at the same time thinking looka this poppit stop he car in the middle of traffic for a blasted selfie. Schupse!

No comments: