Monday, March 06, 2006

Give me a break

After this post you can say I'm not an animal person if you but I don't care.

All week long everytime I turn on the television I've seen a newstory about this police horse who was deliberately hit by a van as a suspect fled the scene. The horse was badly injured and had to be put down.

Ok its a touching story and I'm sure those that worked with the animal feel a sense of loss but dammit this horse is getting more television time than actual human beings who have been killed in this city.

Then I read today that there were 1200 persons at the memorial service for the horse. Damn!!

Don't get me wrong, I love animals and I feel a way that one of God's innocent creatures is dead but see me I aint going to no horse funeral.

I wont say its just a horse but yes that's what it is, it is just a horse. Human beings get murdered, get hit by cars on the daily and they don't get this kind of press. They may get two days of coverage until the next tragedy but certainly not daily reports since February 24th up til now. Whose life is more valuable here that's all I'm asking? Is it wrong for me to think that something is askew with our thinking when an animal gets more mourners than a human being.

And don't say more folks knew the horse, the only reason that's true is because he got more coverage.

13 comments:

princessdominique said...

Yeah its always sad when people put animals above humans. Sad story I'm sure but like you said...balance people.

jelli said...

I feel ya, 1200 people at the memorial service? Come on did the horse know that many folks. Like it was said up there..balance. There needs to be a balance.

nahmix said...

will there be a baby/fatherhood update with pics?

chrome said...

we had the same ish with some whale that died swimming up the river thames. peeps was throwing flowers in and memorial mass and ting. mad

ThandieLand said...

waaaaaaaaaaaaa Horsie dead, horsie dead, horsie dead-oooo! I just messing with you Jdid :D hehehe

I once met a Swiss young woman who told when she did her yr stint in a South American country....one of her jobs was to fed the families who lived on rubbish dumps. She would often give the dogs the food instead of the humans....I asked her why? She said that people could fend for themselves not the dogs.

Me and a bajan friend rolled our eyes and suck our teet ....she wanted to know what was wrong. We finally told her how stupid we found her decision and reasoning...she was not amused at all. But that is how some ppl see animals bwoy ...sometimes even a mawga dog can win out over a human scavenger on a rubbish dump!

Campfyah said...

ahhhh was the horse black or white...
OK, I know, I know...but hey sum questions must be asked.

Rev Island said...

Typical. There were probably some murders (of people) that did not make the news. Or, rapes or suppn.

Mad Bull said...

That Swiss woman is disgusting. The people she told should have reported her, got her fired!. Plus, she is wrong. Dogs can hunt and scavenge, probably even better than humans... I am not saying that dogs shouldn't be fed, but hungry humans are more important. I actually find that apalling.
Re the horse, Jdid, its just a media event. People get killed by criminals all the time, thats not interestin g anymore... now, a nice pwetty horsie... that ought to sell a few papers or 30 second advertising spots! Its all about money, man!

Abeni said...

What wrong with y'all-the horse helped to fight crime..Y'all lucky the whole city didn't show up

the damn boy said...

The horse is the perfect illustration of "Stop, in the name of the Law". You damn right he did. :) Seeing as how people are now giving so much attention to animals (pets especially), dont be surprised if they crown this dead horse a National Hero and say by sacrificing his life, he made the ultimate contribution to society. Yea right!

Miz JJ said...

When Chantal Dunn was gunned down in the streets of Toronto she didn't get this kind of news coverage. And you know 1200 white folks didn't show up for her funeral either. I didn't realize that our society put more value on horses than black people. So frustrating.

MsJayy said...

How ironic. We had a similar situation in Virginia only it was bears. And there was a memorial service. Their bodies had been dumped in a landfill but were exhumed & cremated. You woulda thought it was Yogi & Boo Boo! Meanwhile a woman who was driving drunk, without her glasses on a suspended license who hit/killed someone walked away from any charges. Oh yeah, the top dog at the Health dept. lost her job cause of the bear fiasco.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's a strange world out there, bro. Some animals get better food, clothes & jewels than people, it seems.