Sunday, February 17, 2008

helmet

While I commend Ontario in trying to make everyone feel welcome, well some more than others anyways, sometimes I think the whole political correctness and acceptance goes a little too far.

Case in point:

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has ridden to the defence of a Brampton man who says being forced to wear a motorcycle helmet instead of his turban runs counter to his religious faith.

Baljinder Badesha, above, who was charged by Peel police in September 2005 with failing to wear a helmet, said he understands the inherent dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet but is willing to take the risk to follow his Sikh tenets.

Now I am not against him following his religious tenets but the law is the law is the law and it says you need to wear a helmet to ride a motorcycle. Its not a frivolous law like some, its not a silly law like some, its not a clearly outdated law like some. Its in actual fact a pretty decent law. So if he doesn't want to wear a helmet to ride then don't ride a motorcycle.

Plus way I see it I duz see nuff rastaman wid big big big dreads wearing helmets. If they can find a helmet, or get one custom made to fit over their massive locks I'm sure he can find something to fit over his turban.

Bare nonsense from the Ontario Human Rights Commission if ya ask me. I mean again back to Rasta I'm sure if I was a rasta bunnin a spliff on the corner as my religion tells me to do and the police arrest me no Ontario watch dog group wasn't going to step up an say my rights being violated. No they would say I is a criminal an I need to obey the laws. I lie?

Ya can accommodate, ain't nothing wrong with that but there's got to be a limit where you say this is the law. When in Rome do as the Romans or just don't ride a motorcycle. Its as simple as that thats just my opinion.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Human rights groups are a good thing, however, sometimes they a full of bulls... if you ask me. Now that is just clear foolishness, it seems the human rights group there clearly don't have an issue to defend so the jump on this foolishness! I agree, ticket hit yes, as you said the law is the law and in this case it is a simple and just law. the helmet is for his own safety.

Campfyah said...

I hear yuh, but if de police did ley he guh down de road and lick up heself eh woulda wanna sue quick, quick so...I say ticket his ass...whenin Rome do as de Roamns do and wear de damned helmet

Anonymous said...

Star, as you rightfully contend, the law is the law is the law, and we need to observe and respect it.It is as simple as that.RESPECT!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dee said...

there's a way around it. I've seen Sikhs (I think they were Sikhs anyway) wearing head coverings under work caps at a garage. It amounted to a do-rag without the little tail. He can certainly fit one under a helmet.

Crankyputz said...

Im with GC Doo rag his behind...not wearing a helmet for his religion...I am sure his God wants him to value his life...