Monday, August 04, 2008

Shame on Owen Sound

By now everyone has heard of the beheading story that happened up here in Canada. As details emerge it gets freakier and freakier by the minute. If you thought the beheading part was bad the details about him eating the victim is like something straight out of Silence of the Lambs.

It'll be interesting to watch the fallout from this because I think the fact that the perpetrator was a recent immigrant will get much play.

I'm just thinking I ain't sleeping on the TTC no more.

Anyway a story that may have slipped under the radar with all this talk of beheading is the stabbing of a black Toronto man up in Owen Sound last week which is being seen as a case of possible mistaken identify and possibly as having some racial overtones.

I guess we all look alike right. Poor dude is in critical condition cause someone accused him of a crime and then beat the crap out of him. Could have happened anywhere I guess so I wont be too harsh on Owen Sound. There are probably people like this crimes perpetrators everywhere.

The ironic part I guess is that Owen Sound marks the northernmost point of the secret route to freedom for American slaves and they were just about to have a big Emancipation day celebration when this incident occurred. Sad. I hope dude recovers from this attack.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I really hated to hear about the "bus killer" I happened to be on the MEGABUS at the time I heard about it...Scared me to death.

Mighty Afroditee said...

Oh dear God. Sigh, sigh, sigh. What to say? What can possibly be said about this?

Oh, to make like an ostrich and dig my head in the sand...

dalia said...

i heard about the owen sound incident, and found it interesting that owen sound was the last stop on the escape route for slaves. the mayor is married to a black man! it was just a stupid incident that prompted a "typical small town bullsh*t" thought from me...

the man who hacked up and ate his seat mate on the greyhound bus solidified my decision to NEVER take the bus/train to montreal EVER again. the last time i went by train, we hit someone and the trip was delayed several hours.

now i gotta worry about someone eating me? although, i have to admit i wouldn't make much of a meal... lol

Melody said...

What a way for that man to trump de emancipation celebration. Racial overtones, dem say, not Racism itself.

Will said...

My uncle from TO is visiting and was telling us all the news about the bus incident. It's horrifying. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I know we're not supposed to generalise about countries, but I've always held Canada high up because it just always seemed so open and accepting to me. But earlier this year I was in TO and a friend who works in construction was telling me about all the racial crap that goes on - he's noticed a trend of older white people moving out of the city into little community pockets to escape the "darkening" of TO.

It's just all so sad.

Luke Cage said...

I heard about this story in passing from someone, but never got into the details of it. But this is like some ish from a serial killer movie. You expect dude who portrayed Hannibal Lecter to come out and receive an Academy award for his performance. But this is so crazy and out there, there are no words for it at all my friend. Straight up unbelieveable...!

Abeni said...

Wow...cannibalism too? I am not really shocked about the incident co s the Stacy Wilson murder really made me aware of the brutality of humans.

Talk about irony at Owen Sound eh. Guess we really not free still

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm from Florida and I really did not know events such as "mistaken" identity was going on in Canada. I guess that racism and violence is more of a global flaw in people's personality than a global location. Peace

Unknown said...

Never heard of this story before! But it looks like you guys have a real life Hannibal on the loose!

Re the stabbing, too much evil idiots running around!