Friday, August 20, 2004

Street People 2

Ok just got back from lunch after having successfully avoided the kid parked across the street with the chocolate almonds and I realize I have deeper issues with the kids begging for money for their schools (see yesterday's post). Not sure what it is yet but I think it has something to do with on a whole isn't this teaching kids to beg a bit too early in life.

Also the fact that 95% of the kids doing this begging are minorities just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Something about black kids or Indian or Chinese kids begging people, white folk in particular, for money definitely does not sit well with me as I just get these images of slavery or colonial days flashing into my head. I mean things have changed haven't they? Isn't this going to affect us teaching these kids to have pride. I know false pride is bad and sometimes you have to suck it up and just do what you got to do but that doesn't mean I've got to like it does it.

2 comments:

Abeni said...

Something about the begging is irritating.The children get to face a lot of verbal abuse too because the cute kid thing does not always cut it. I often wonder if the schools can't put on programmes rather than subject the kids to this begging culture.. Ahh well

Jdid said...

Its got to be tough on the kids to face all of that rejection so early. I'm sure there are persons who are mean to them out there on the streets. There has got to be a better way to raise money than this.