Saturday, October 09, 2004

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in Toronto. Cant say that I've ever been a big fan of this holiday actually. There are a couple of reasons for that actually. One reason is that its not a holiday that I was exposed to as a child growing up in Barbados so I'm still trying to become accustomed to it. The other reason is that its a holiday where alot of family events are stressed and seeing that most of my family is hundreds of miles away I'm forced to go spend time with other people's family which annoys the hell out of me.

No lie, got to face the truth. Thanksgiving gets all under my skin and I really despise this holiday.

What more can I say? Its bad enough I don't get to see my family for more than three weeks a year anymore but to actively have to spend time with other people's families and pretend I actually like it just pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. Ok so I'm being selfish that doesn't mean my feelings are no less real right. Sigh!

Actually I'm not big on Easter or Christmas either and I have the same issue there too. Forgive me if these holidays bring my feelings of loneliness or missing my homeland and my family more to the surface than other days but that's just how it is. So f' it all! I'm glad for the days off from work but as for the actual celebration I could give a damn.

Ok that's a bad note to end on. I'm thankful for friends, family, health and that God has continued to spare my life so I'm not completely bitter or not capable of acknowledging the holiday. I'll be happier when its gone though. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.


No comments: