Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Cough Cough!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSo I went to see the doctor yesterday.

haven't been feeling 100% for the last few days and since it seemed like my body was in a furious Star Wars type battle vs the dark side on Saturday where the dark side won just like Episode III (out tonight yipee!) I decided ok for once let me just be careful and go see the doctor and find out what's wrong.

Now I know some folk who will run to the doctor with a any little slight injury like a broken toenail especially since up here in Canada where we got Universal health insurance so you're not coming directly out of pocket every time you go to the doctor. Me, I'm not down with that, I avoid doctors unless I cant help it or I feel that something really wrong with me. Add to that that I am an 'expert' at being sick. Boy if them had a job requiring 'ability to be sick, must have plenty prior experience' I would have recruiters liking down my door. I have lots of experience in childhood and also adulthood with illness particularly the cold and flu so I know what works with me, what doesn't work with me, what the first symptoms for my usual malady are and how to try to battle this stuff from the first signs. So all in all as much as my doctor is a cool West Indian dude, I don't really like to see him too often and I don't cause unless I think I have SARS I usually cant be too bothered with going to a doctor for my symptoms.

Another reason I don't like going to doctors is because not only do I usually have some idea what's wrong with me but I also got a clue what they will prescribe and its kind of a let down after the visit. But sometimes I give in to advice if the cold lingering or something so or like yesterday I say well just in case let me go cause I haven't been in a while and I've been sick a few times in the interim. Then I get the let down. The doctor will say something like 'ya just need rest' or 'is just a lil bug' that going around, ','go tek sum aspirin or rub up wid vicks or sumting so'. Well he's usually alot more professional than that but you get the drift. Man after that I cant help but feel a lil disappointed. Not that I'm complaining, I thank God um aint nuttin serious but I cant help but feel a certain way after I leff my home ta go see a doctor about illness and all he prescribe is rest and relaxation. Especially when I consider myself an armchair expert and don't go to him that often. LOL

Chupse! Intstead of coming to him to be told this all so I coulda been home holding a pieca sleep and relaxing instead of being in his office lettin him put a cold stethoscope on my chest and poking in my ear and under my tongue an ting so. Ya understand me?

And plus at least for me its not anything new he telling me, I duz already be rubbing down with the vicks or tekkin the echinechia or vitamin C and trying to relax already so its like did I really need an expert to confirm what I was already doing? Well actually I guess I did, that's why we go to them. Its more like we go to confirm just in case because with these millions of disturbing bugs around and all the symptoms sounding similar you just never know and they always say better safe than sorry.

Oh well I really aint complaining like I said cause I really don't want to go in the doctors office and hear 'boy you doan look suh good at all ya kno! ya like ya dying. Looka hol these three sets a pills. These blue wuns ya duz tek 5 times a day standing upside down wid flip flops on ya feet, dese white wuns ya gotta tek everytime ya sneeze and these pink set ya gotta tek while sitting down on a stool covering one nostril with a pieca tissue. Now whatever ya do doan mix up the pink wuns wid de white wuns or God help ya!"

Ok so that's way exaggerated but I was having fun with it and you guys understand me. Its not that ya want to be told that you have a real serious illness but when the brain feel ya sick ya duz feel a lil let down when a man juss say rest and relaxation. Almost like he trivialize ya symptoms or something so. Cuhdear!

Like one time, years ago, when I was in school, I went to another doctor and I knew I had a real bad flu. I was half deading and I went to the man and he look at me and all he say was "well looks like you have the flu." I just had to sit there and say to myself but wait wha kinda body he is doah? He got a degree in medicine or a degree in stating the obvious. Wha I know I got the flu dat is why I come to he, chupse! lol.

Anyway I'm not really poking fun at doctors, just sort of pointing out how our/my brains work when you/I think you're/I'm sick. You don't really want to be told you're sick but somehow being told you're not that sick just makes you feel like you've wasted a trip to the doctor. Did that make sense? Forgive me I sick, the brain not really working today.

12 comments:

Amadeo said...

Not only do I hate going to the doctor but I have a list of things I can't take, including aspirin and sudafed. Because of asthma I've had more doctor visits in my first 10 years of life than bubble boy. I avoid at all costs.

bitchdoctrine said...

My damn doctor always overbooks appointments. If I make an appointment for 2 pm, I have to be there for 1 and I get out by 4. It's sick and ridiculous. I only go to the doctor now once a year. If I'm sick, I drink some bush tea and call it a night.

nahmix said...

This was me a little over a week. I've been seriously sick twice already and the year isn't even halfway over. Feel better!

courtney said...

Feel better J!

Abeni said...

I know the feeling.When you sick you don't want to hear you dying but you don't want to come away feeling as if you waste the doctor time.

Campfyah said...

But wait...you and de hubby plan dis being sick thing together. Well looka tek care ah yuhself and leff dem Drs. alone.

Angel said...

Yeah, my family doctor's always overbooked, too. It's always the same people who rush over there like it's an emergency at the first sign of the sniffles. And I hate waiting. Waiting room. Smaller waiting room. Examination room. Then the doc finally comes in and breezes out before I can even ask my questions. LOL!

Feel better, jdid. Nothing like those home-grown tried and true remedies to make ya well. :)

Nat said...

hope u feel betta soon... i dont know many ppl who would enjoy a trip to the doc... but all my bad experiences involve trying to get medical attention in the ER of my local hospitals... shit is insane

Dayrell said...

hi...this is my first time here. well, i hope you feel better. i'm sorry this is completely off subject, but GOOD LAWD...that pic you posted up makes me want to throw some medicine pills at my computer screen. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Well, this doctor's diagnosis is that the doc who you went to see jus tell you seh is rest you need cause him don't want you to fret! JDid, from the mix up post you write here, you well sick bredrin! I suggest you take two Panadol and send me an e-mail in de morning!;-)

I see seh nobody nuh like docta! Is arite, you all time will come when you need we! ;-)

Get better soon rude yute. Dr. D.

Mad Bull said...

Me nuh like go to dem and haffi wait niether. I go only rarely. Luckily for me, I get sick pretty rarely too.

dalia said...

got SARS? cover your mouth up like kanye says! LOL