Thursday, May 26, 2005

Wait I propose to you?

Been struggling to find the time to blog this week. Lots of thoughts in the head just not alot of time to write them down. Anyway I found this blog that I started back in February and although I'm struggling with fatigue today (insomnia will do that to you folks) I decided I might as well share this one now before I forget it again.

Once upon a time, not long ago where people wore pajamas and lived life slow, where law was stern and justice stood and people were behaving like ......

Nope sorry this isn't children's story by Slick Rick (knock em out the box rick! Knock em out Rick!) this is just a random story with no point by Jdid

Now back in the days when I was in University I used to spend my holidays in random spots in North America since I couldn't afford to go back to Barbados for every holiday and I damn sure didn't have the love for Toronto to be spending all my time here. I already told y'all about the whole Christmas in Montreal thing and whole heap a people a laff offa me but that's alright. Well I used to spend some of my holidays with an Uncle who lives in Detroit as well. Up to today its still the only U.S city I've been to and I must say its a rather interesting place. A place that I kind of like. Its a bit grimy but I found the folks to be friendly and it was kind of cool back in the day cause we didn't get B.E.T in Canada back then lol.

Anyway I think I spent about two Christmases in Detroit and a small part of one summer. It was alot of fun. Well not that much fun but it was a nice place to go and just chill because my uncle and his wife both worked and if I was there for a week or two I'd spend about 80% of that time alone just liming (chilling) in his basement digging in the crates for his Prince, Anita Baker, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and that other good ish he had on vinyl. Plus of course I'd have bought my Black Sheep, Tribe, P.E, Boogie Down Productions and all that other hip hop with me and he had the bomb stereo with the surround sound speakers and the nice equalizer! Actually Dude had the sweet basement hookup; Great stereo set, comfy couch, cable tv and I mean the ish we still don't get up in this spot. ESPN, HBO, Showtime man I had me some fun. Word! After spending a semester seriously beating my head against the books it was such a welcome relief to just veg out, listen to some music, watch movies and read some thing non school related and best of all sleep. I would literally sleep away the days at his place.

Oh it was also on one of these trips that I wrote this letter but we already talked about that.

So as I was saying most of my time in the D was spent just vegging except for the evenings when my uncle came home and he'd take me to check out the city or the days where I'd go to the mall and chill or something like that. It was just good down time.

Anyway, one day my uncle's god-daughter came over. She was about my age or a little older and I'd heard a bit about her and how she was a nice girl and all that. Apparently one of my other cousins had linked up with her older sis back in the days or something too.

Now I honestly can say that I cant remember what she looked like but I think she was probably pretty decent looking. She was probably better than that but I cant remember her that well. Why is this important its not really but hey I was like 20 at the time so it was definitely all about the looks back then!

So I got the introduction and we hang out for quite a bit just chatting about this and that. Actually I don't even think I flirted with her because my game was weak, (Was!! Who am I kidding with the past tense lol) and I really hadn't mastered the flirt yet. There was quite a nice conversation going on in my opinion although in hindsight it seemed as if we could have been more relaxed. We were basically just kind of two strangers trust into a situation where we had heard of each other but this was our first meeting and we weren't sure what we had in common. So the conversation was a bit stilted at first but we started chatting about school, she wanted to be a hairdresser I think, then music, dancing and you know the usual stuff that pops up at random. So conversation starting to progress, we both started to feel a little more at ease, we laughed a bit, joked a bit, shared a few random stories. I was starting to think hey homegirl is kinda cool this is fun.

Until .....

Homegirl asks me something about Barbados and growing up there. So I start telling her about my homeland just running down some of the basics not trying to give her the whole tourist board spiel. Suddenly mid sentence she interrupts me and says the following which I quote verbatim. 'Wow, Barbados sounds like a really nice place,' she said. I started nodding yep it is and then she continued with a bit of stress to the words 'BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE THERE, I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE ANYWHERE ELSE BUT DETROIT!'

Screech! hol up! Wait a minute! What da ?? I was straight shook. Whachu talking bout Willis? All I could mumble was ummm ok and then I was pretty much speechless. Conversation dead! No t dying straight dead! Why? Because the way those words came out of her mouth I swore I had just proposed to the sista and she was telling me that we had to live in Detroit when we were married. I kid you not. I was sitting there analysing the conversation, trying not to make eye contact, afraid she was going to start a head bobbing tirade like 'if you want to be my man you needs to gets yourself a good job and ....' and I was also trying to figure out if I had said anything at all that could be construed as a proposal or my even trying to even get a date with her. It was one of the most uncomfortable situations I've ever been in trying to talk to someone cause it was like what was that all about. Did I walk into a Hindu household and an arranged marriage? Did they already exchange the Dowry? Good gosh homegirl sure as hell told me but ummm why was she telling me. Was she setting ground rules for me? I'm still completely clueless to this day as to what went down. All I know is I never said anything about her even visiting Barbados, she asked about the place I told her about it, I wasn't trying to recruit her. Man that was some scary ish! I was so glad when she had to leave. Man I was pretty much ready to run back to the T dot right after that in case she came back to finish the conversation.

So I still remember those words to this day 'Barbados sounds like a nice place BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE ANYWHERE ELSE BUT DETROIT'. Yo I think homegirl had issues.

9 comments:

Campfyah said...

Yup, I would say homegirl had serious issues. One, because why would anyone living in cold azz detroit, not want to live in B'dos? Two, why did she ask if she wasn't really interested in leaving Detroit.

But you did right and kept yuh cool..cause you coulda ask she, but wait Ms thing, sumbodie ask you tuh go live in B'dos, wha B'dos ein call you and yuh bess haul yuh tail.....

Abeni said...

That's weird.Maybe she was feeling you out to see if you interested.But still it is a weird thing to say tosomebody you just met.

Anonymous said...

JDid, how you bad so? The girl was offering to be you wife in AMERICA (you could always go to Bim for hoildays on the beach) and you sell it out. Chupse...you disappoint me! LOL.

Indeed rude bwoy...girl was a drop some heavy hint pon the young twenty year old....sure if you had gone with her plan...baby JDid woulda did reach pon de scene well quick. RUN MY YUTE! Dr. D.

bitchdoctrine said...

Who would want to live in that burnt out ass city rather than Barbados?

Scratchie said...

Definite issues JDid.

Mad Bull said...

Big N, I'm kinda partial to Georgia too...

Jdid, maybe the girl thought that you were going on so much about B'dos and that you were sort of putting down Detroit, or sup'm.

You gots to stand up for your Yard, you just gotta...

Ollie Ollie said...

heh, in this house we say 'wachu talkin' 'bout Willis' ALL THE TIME.

heh, just makes me laugh. sad what happened to those folks though.

Mad Bull said...

I have read here that you was into running and track and ting. Up for a little relay race? Accept the Musical Baton nuh?

Jdid said...

@camp - I was in so much shock I was unsure what to say next
@abeni - maybe she was
@Dr D - damn I missed out lol
@starfoxx & scratchie - agreed
@gunner - yea you speak the truth
@nikki - lol, at least i hope you're still a pistons fan
@big N - true
@Mad Bull - I dont think that was it cause as I said I wasnt trying that hard to sell her on the spot
@blaironaleash - thanks for stopping by
@mad bull - ok I'll take the baton